We’re excited to introduce our transformative initiative aimed at preserving businesses in rural Newfoundland and Labrador while creating opportunities for revenue diversification in the community sector. Whether you are a business owner looking to retire or a nonprofit organization seeking growth, we encourage you to explore the possibilities.
Welcome to the Community Sector Council of Newfoundland and Labrador’s (CSCNL) inquiry page for the Social Enterprise through Acquisition (SETA) project. SETA is a transformative initiative aimed at preserving businesses in rural Newfoundland and Labrador while creating opportunities for revenue diversification in the community sector. Whether you’re a business owner contemplating retirement or a nonprofit organization seeking growth, we invite you to explore the possibilities.
With an alarming 55 per cent of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with 1-4 employees in our province projected to exit within the next five years, primarily due to retirement, SETA’s mission is clear. We aim to facilitate the transformation of vital local, private businesses in Newfoundland and Labrador into sustainable social purpose organizations (SPOs) to strengthen local economies and ensure the continuity of essential community services.
Discover more about SETA and CSCNL’s partnership with the Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Co-operatives (NLFC), supported by a generous investment from the Northpine Foundation, by visiting: https://northpinefoundation.ca/blog/community-collaboration-sparks-transformation-750000-investment-to-preserve-businesses-in-newfoundland-and-labrador/
Nonprofit Organizations and Charities
Are you a nonprofit organization or charity looking to diversify your revenue streams and create a lasting impact in your community? Our initiative offers the following opportunities:
- Guidance: Receive expert advice on how to structure your acquisition, including financing options, legal and governance support
- Revenue Diversification: Enhance your financial stability by adding a sustainable business to your portfolio
- Business Acquisition: Acquire established private businesses with a social enterprise model, promoting meaningful employment and community engagement
- Community Empowerment: Strengthen your role as a community pillar by supporting local businesses and employees
- Support and Resources: Access resources to help you navigate the transition process and subsequent operations
Business Owners Looking to Retire
Are you a business owner in rural Newfoundland and Labrador who is considering retirement? We understand that your business is your life’s work, and we’re here to help you transition with purpose and financial security. Our initiative offers the following benefits:
- Community Legacy: Preserve the legacy of your business by ensuring it continues to serve the community
- Employee Retention: Keep your dedicated employees employed by ensuring your business stays operational within the community
- Guidance: Receive expert advice on how to structure the transition, financing options, and special support for business
- Supportive Transitional Planning: Secure your retirement while contributing to the well-being of your community
How to Get Involved
If you’re interested in exploring how this initiative can benefit you as a business owner or a nonprofit organization, please fill out the form below. We welcome your inquiries, partnership proposals, and feedback. Together, we can shape the future of rural communities in Newfoundland and Labrador.